“There are only two rules in this house,” my friend’s father said as I entered his home. “You are now my fourth daughter and anything you want is yours.” Honestly one of the most welcoming greetings one could ever have. As the week went on, I realized he meant it! In Pensacola, FL – a great family, a great trip, and a great friend!
Fun things we did…
- Attended a graduation party for Priya with the Indian community. I was given an orange salwar-kameez to wearand an orange rhinestone bindi! Some believe the bindi retains energy and strengthens concentration and protects against demons and bad luck. So…I may start wearing one every day…just in case 🙂
- Watched the sunrise at the beach.
- Played in the waves! (I did not have a bathing suit – so I comically was trying to ride the waves fully clothed)
- Jumped in an inflatable bouncy castle. We kicked out all the kids – they had enough fun for one day.
- Watched Priya give her valedictorian speech. (By the way she graduated number one in her class at the age of 15 – yes she is awesome!!!!)
- Ate lots of healthy tasty home cooked Indian food! It is so much better than heavy greasy restaurant food!! Excellent!! Amazing tamarind sauce, homemade yogurt, and yummy subzi and chaat!!
- Learned to make just about every type of India bread! Mix, roll, make, eat, smile! 🙂
- Played on a playground! (I am not quite as good on the hand over hand bars as I was when I was 10.)
- Learned more Hindi in one week than months in India!
- Cuddled with two baby tigers!!!! Yes they definitely deserved their own post! 🙂
- Held a baby kangaroo! Photos also in my tiger post 🙂
- Ate at Lambert’s Cafe – The Only Home of the Throwed Roll! Yes – they actually throw rolls at you – and they are HOT and taste pretty awesome! The rolls and apple butter were amazing – the rest of the food is not my style, but it is a fun place with free passed sides, including fried okra!
- Watched the Blue Angels practice! The Blue Angels are the United States Navy’s Flight Demonstration Squadron and is currently the oldest formal flying aerobatic team. They consist of six demonstration pilots that fly the F/A-18 Hornet and perform in shows throughout the US.
- Saw ridiculous lightning fill the sky!
- Laughed at a liquor store drive thru window!!
- Watched X-Men: First Class.
- Stopped by two of their $40 a Visit Family Clinics for people who are uninsured or do not have access to a doctor. This really is an amazing service to the community!
- Played games, talked and laughed a lot (usually at me) with Neha, Priya, Saumya, Nupur and family! 🙂